We all felt bad when google released its brand new browser Chrome only for Windows. It was not released even for Mac OS. That day I did try installing Google Chrome on Linux using Wine but didn’t get much time to really hack into it and resolve some errors displayed on my console during the installation.
After couple of days one of my friend forwarded a blog post written by Romeo Adrian Cioaba, which explained how I can go ahead and configure Chrome on Linux. I did miss something to get it working perfectly the other day and Gnu/Linux habba preparations and other works kept me busy mean while. Today I thought of trying out Chrome some how on my laptop so that I can even demonstrate this in Mysore during habba event. Wow! it works and I’m even posting this new blog post via Chrome running on Linux.
Here are the steps followed by me :
1. download and install wine >= 1.1.3.
If you’re on Ubuntu the just type this
aptitude install wine
That should do.
2. Now you got to download and install WineTricks which really did the trick and made Chrome work on Linux (This is what I was missing earlier on the first day). Issue the following command in the console to download the binary :
3. Copy the binary to /usr/bin
sudo cp winetricks /usr/sbin
4. Make the file executable
sudo chmod 755 /usr/bin/winetricks
5. Now, its time to do the trick with winetrick and install some dependencies required for Chrome including Flash, here I’m also adding fonts required for Chrome (Flash and Fonts are optional though)
winetricks riched20 riched30 flash allfonts
6. Download the Chrome installer now :
7. Lets install Chrome now. Also ensure that you say yes to create Desktop icon for Chrome. Here is how you run Chrome Installer.
Here is how it looks like :
8. Once you’re done with the installation, you are just one step behind. Hack it bit more. Use an editor and open the Google Chrome.desktop file which is now on your Desktop. Now you need to add “–new-http –in-process-plugins”, without the quotes at the end of this line:
/.wine" wine "C:\\windows\\profiles\\ \\Local Settings\\Application Data\\Google\\Chrome\\Application\\chrome.exe"
to make it look like this:
/.wine" wine "C:\\windows\\profiles\\ \\Local Settings\\Application Data\\Google\\Chrome\\Application\\chrome.exe" --new-http --in-process-plugins
Save the file and you’re done with the hack.
9, Go to Desktop and Start the Google Chrome now.
Hurry! But wait. There are few more issues with Chrome running on Chrome. Need to make it work with SSL and I also need Kannada fonts to be added to wine environment.There might be some security issues too. That will be my next hack on Chrome. Share the info if you are already done with it.
Now, happy browsing on Chrome.