Reaching out to others! Free & Open Source Software, Kannada, L10n, L18n Data Science, Cloud Computing & more…

Mothers day and more

It has been a relaxing weekend… have spent much of my time away from the laptop, though I have my little digital toy in my hand through out this weekend along with my brand new Camera. Yes, I haven’t written much about it here so far. I bought a Canon EOS 500D couple of months […]

OpenShot Video Editor

Looking for a video editor on your linux box? Here is the best one. OpenShotVideoEditor is just awesome!, stable and does all that you need.

Installing OpenShot is quite simple as it comes with a custom PPA:

Here are the details of this PPA (Detailed Instructions):

deb karmic main
deb-src karmic main

Signing key: 1024R/EDFBD1F9

See the video demonstration what you can do with Openshot :

So, go ahead Install and see how it works. For those who are good at creating video’s please let me know if you can contribute some time creating awareness videos.

Fix for “track format is unknown” – YouTube Error

I was desperately trying to add captions to one of my video and couldn’t really get it right on youtube for some reason.

When ever I tried upload a subtitles file (.srt or .sub) which found to be working on my system, youtube used to bailout with following error:

File upload warning
The caption has been saved, but there were following errors in the file
track format is unknown

I did follow Youtube help page available at:

But I missed to look at FS (Fractional seconds) format that I had used in my .srt file.

For example:

Look at the time code example:


Timecode: Specifies when the caption should be shown, and for how long.

Time is measured from the start of the video in these units:

* HH – Hours starting at 00
* MM – Minutes (00-59)
* SS – Seconds (00-59)
* FS – Fractional Seconds (0-999)

This is where exactly I was making a mistake. instead of a period (.) I was using comma (,). As per the help page HH:MM:SS,FS –> HH:MM:SS,FS should work without any issues.

The same .srt file which without any changes works on all players that I have got on my laptop. I was forced to change all comma’s to periods and also don’t forget to remove any extra spaces in Time code before you upload the .srt file to Youtube.

Now all is good so far. But still facing issues related to Unicode (utf-8) subtitles. I shall write to Youtube once again or embed the subtitle before posting it.