Many people keep asking this question on facebook, in meetups etc. I have tried to compile a quick list of pointers to start editing on Kannada Wikipedia. Hope this helps.
To start editing Wikipedia: First create an account on Kannada Wikipedia (https://kn.wikipedia.org). This would help you to track all your modifications or contributions on Wiki.
If you’re already on wiki, then start finding information about any subject or topic of your interest. If you find that information on wiki, its well and good, see if you can improve that article. If you don’t find one, then you will be prompted to create that article.. This is the simplest way to start your editing on Kannada wikipedia.
If you have already kick started your editing on Wikipedia, you can help us (Kannada Wikipedia Community) with few of our existing projects: I shall list them for you.
- The following project helps us to enhance the existing articles submitted by Google transliteration project. These articles are good but they need lots of clean up work from editors. The list of articles might contain lots of information that you might want to read and edit further.
ವಿಕಿಪೀಡಿಯ:ಯೋಜನೆ/ಅನುವಾದಗೊಂಡ ಲೇಖನಗಳ ಸಂವರ್ಧನಾ ಯೋಜನೆ
- Last month we started with a new project to edit wiki pages of all districts of Karnataka. This would enhance the readability of place specific information on Kannada Wikipedia. You might want to search your district page and enhance it under this project whenever you get a chance. That would encourage many of your friends to write about their districts too.
ವಿಕಿಪೀಡಿಯ:ಯೋಜನೆ/ಕರ್ನಾಟಕದ ಜಿಲ್ಲೆಗಳ ಪುಟಗಳ ಸಂಪಾದನಾ ಯೋಜನೆ
- We are also in process of starting Wiki project Karnataka 1000. This project is used to be on English Wikipedia and this time we are trying to make this as a multilingual wiki project to co-ordinate between other language Wikipedians too. This project aims to improve organisation and standardised look and feel of the articles related to the Indian state of Karnataka.
Wikipedia:WikiProject Karnataka 1000 – Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
These are few projects through which you can kick start your editing activities around Kannada Wikipedia. If you need any help then please drop a message here or on Kannada Wikipedia Facebook Group, Kannada Wikipedia Mailing list. You can also attend our Meetups, Workshops, Or Google Hangout sessions happen atleast once in a month.
ಮಾರ್ಚ್ ೩, ೨೦೧೨ – ಸಂಯುಕ್ತ ಕರ್ನಾಟಕ ಅಂಕಣ
Tags: Kannada Wikipedia, ಕನ್ನಡ, ಗ್ನು/ಲಿನಕ್ಸ್
Deccanherald published this following article on its website on 5th December.
I guess it was supposed to be “Wikipedia” instead. On contrary, Kannada wikipedia has been live from more than 5 years on the net at https://kn.wikipedia.org and computer savvy kannadiga’s have already been contributing a large amount of articles(there are more than 5000 articles already) voluntarily. Then what is this all about?
Looks like Deccanherald didn’t do the complete homework before publishing the news.
* Karnataka government launched a “Wikipedia” like project called “Kanaja (Kanaja.in)” at the cost of 2 crore rupees of tax money collect from public.
* First of all Kanaja.in does not resemble a wiki.
* Kanaja.in is a plain HTML static pages archive as of now.
* Many links are not yet up even when it has been grandly launched by Cheif Minister of Karnataka
* There is no need for developing a new software for building such project for public interest.Mediawiki, a Free and Open Source software is already powering Worlds largest wiki project https://www.wikipedia.org. Wikipedia even contains a language wiki for Kannada. On top of all this, its time tested. So, why reinvent the wheel?
* Hosted on a Windows server (you can find it easily if you click on broken links on the website). Do we really need to pay for licensing softwares when there is an OpenSource solution available? Why not use Gnu/Linux server which is secure, stable, scalable than windows server.
I really wonder if there is any tech savvy member in Karnataka Government who can question this project “after” collecting all relevant technical aspects involved in this project. Is there any one out there on net who knows whats going on with Kanaja?
Department of Mass Communications and Al Madhyam of the St. Aloysius College, Mangalore in collaboration with Centre for Internet and Society, Bangalore are holding a State-level Wiki-Academy in Mangalore on 22nd August, 2009. The one-day workshop will focus on the use of Indian languages in Wikipedia, editing and its application in academics.
Registration is free. Register before 21st August for the workshop. Registration is open on the day of the event, as well.
Wikipedia editors will speak about the history of Wikipedia and its role in making information freely available to people in several languages.
They will also provide hands-on training on editing and improving articles on Wikipedia.
The talks for this edition will be presented by:
Prashanth N S (editor, English Wikipedia)
Hari Prasad Nadig (sysop, Kannada Wikipedia)
More details on the program is at:
(Feel free to pass this on to your friends in Mangalore)