A late night chat with Shri NAM Ismail (Prajavani) gives me a chance to look at creative commons from Vachana’s point of view. For few of my questions and observations on Creative Commons adoption in India here is what he had to say:
“If you can understand allama then you can understand CC an copy left”
Here is Allama Prabhu’s vachana which he quoted during our chat:
ವೇದವೆಂಬುದು ಓದಿನ ಮಾತು; ಶಾಸ್ತ್ರವೆಂಬುದು ಸಂತೆಯ ಸುದ್ದಿ.
ಪುರಾಣವೆಂಬುದು ಪುಂಡರ ಗೋಷ್ಠಿ ತರ್ಕವೆಂಬುದು ತಗರ ಹೋರಟೆ.
ಭಕ್ತಿ ಎಂಬುದು ತೋರಿ ಉಂಬ ಲಾಭ.
ಗುಹೇಶ್ವರನೆಂಬುದು ಮೀರಿದ ಘನವು
My questions were simple, why we are taking too long to understand Creative Commons? Why we don’t understand “Free Culture” philosophy? Why we just read “Free” as just “Free” anywhere but not as in “Freedom”.
Today 55 books of prominent Kannada Niranjana were released under CC by his daughter and writer Tejaswini Niranjana in Indian Institute of World Culture, Basavanagudi. “Media houses should be encouraged to release some work under Creative Commons” says NAM Ismail.
More about my questions, answers, findings and research in some other blog. Till then spend some time researching what 11th and 12th century vachanakaara’s had thought of veda’s on Vachana Sanchaya.
The Kannada Wikimedia community, in collaboration with CIS-A2K, is glad to share that almost all of the works by Niranjana will be re-licensed under CC-BY-SA 4.0 on the occasion of Kannada Rajyotsava.
Niranjana (1924-1992) was the pseudonym of Kulkund Shivarao, a prominent Kannada writer of the 20th century and a leading figure in the Progressive Writers’ Movement. His prolific output, across nearly five decades, included novels, short stories, plays, biographies, political commentary, and translations. He was a regular columnist in the Kannada newspapers and magazines. Among his achievements as an editor are Jnana Gangotri, a 7-volume encyclopedia for young people, and a 25-volume compilation of the world’s greatest short stories.
A total of 55 Kannada books by Niranjana will be re-licensed. This could be the single largest and most comprehensive individual collection of a writer to be released under CC-BY-SA 4.0 in any of the Indian languages. We are planning to have a formal event to celebrate this, along with an orientation session on the importance of Creative Commons for growing open knowledge in Kannada and Kannada Wikisource during the first week of November 2014. The exact event details will be communicated shortly. The Kannada Wikimedia community and CIS-A2K would be very happy if you could be present for this event. We would like to acknowledge the great initiative shown by Dr. Tejaswini Niranjana (also Advisor to CIS-A2K) in getting the below works released under CC-BY-SA 4.0.
- Vimochane (1953)
- Banashankari (1954)
- Saubhagya (1954)
- Abhaya (1954)
- Rangammana Vathaara (1954)
- Doorada Nakshatra (1954)
- Navodaya (1956)
- Paalige banda Panchaamruta (1955)
- Ekangini (1955)
- Chirasmarane (1955)
- Koney Namaskara (1955)
- Deekshe (1956)
- Kalyanaswami (1956)
- Minukuhula (1956)
- Vilasini (1956)
- Anjana (1957)
- Vishalakshi (1958)
- Hennagi Kaadithhu Maaye (1962)
- Bangarada Jinke (1963)
- Nandagokula (1964)
- Swami Aparampaara (1967)
- Novu (Nooru Juttu Mooru Jade) (1965)
- Smaraneyonde Saaladey? (1971)
- Mrityunjaya (1976)
- Minchu (1987)
SHORT STORY COLLECTIONS
- INA! (1945)
- Raktha Sarovara (1947)
- Sandhikaala (1947)
- Annapoorna (1952)
- Koneya Giraaki (1953)
- Vaarada Huduga (1957)
- Kathyaayini (1957)
- Onti Nakshatra Nakkithu (1960)
- Yaava Janmada Shaapa? (1964)
- Naastika Kotta Devaru (1965)
- Kelavu Sanna Kathegalu (1986)
- Sangama Snaana (1961)
- Aahvaana (1963)
- Samraajni (1967)
- Naavuu Manushyaru! (1985)
COLLECTION OF ESSAYS
- Buddhi, Bhaava, Baduku (1984)
COLLECTION OF INTERVIEWS
- Mukhatah (1985)
COLLECTIONS OF NEWSPAPER COLUMNS
- Aidu Nimisha (1953)
- Kaalakshepa (1957)
- Sadhana (1953)
- Pushpahaara (1957)
- Dinachariyinda (1972)
- Rajadhaniyinda (1972)
- Ankana (1972)
- Nadey Chenna-Nudi Chenna (1986)
- Himalayada Dalluri (1962)
- Gandhi – Indu, Naale (1973)
- Chirasmaraneya Kayyuru (1981)
- Pratidhwani (1987)
LETTERS BY NIRANJANA
- Naadi (1994)
Kannada version of this blog post is available here.
ToolServer shows my wiki activity. It’s nice to see that I have done atleast an edit on Kannada wiki through out 2012. It has been very tempting to go and find stuff that is not available on Free Encyclopedia of my Language, and edit whatever I feel is necessary.
Here is a quick view on my wiki edit status grabbed through toolserver.
||Apr 07, 2007 06:41:03
|Unique pages edited:
|Average edits per page:
|Total edits (including deleted):
Going further I get to see where I exactly contributed to Wikipedia. 57% of my work has gone into editing articles and 22.83% of my edits are into templates.
The following graph shows my contributions month wise.
Why I edit Wikipedia?
Because, I find it necessary to contribute my knowledge.
Because, I enjoy editing.
Because, I want all possible information available in my language to be searched and found at the top of Google Search bar.
Updates for 2013:
- Kannada Wikipedia Facebook Group is about to touch 2500 members! http://facebook.com/groups/kannadawikipedia
- This year, we are planning to reach out via Google Hangouts and IRC channels. More events outside Bangalore?
- We are editing district pages
- We are fixing Padma Awards pages
- Award Winners pages to be created
- Need people to spread a word about Kannada Wikipedia during Bijapur Kannada Sahitya Sammelana
- Let us click pictures and update Wikipedia pages with relevant images. Participate in WLM2013 (Wiki Loves Monuments)
- Build community to work around ‘Karnataka 1000‘ wiki project.
- Build technical community to fix technical issues and make a difference in growth of Wikipedia.
There is lot more that can be done @ Kannada Wikipedia.
Join me in this run…
Many people keep asking this question on facebook, in meetups etc. I have tried to compile a quick list of pointers to start editing on Kannada Wikipedia. Hope this helps.
To start editing Wikipedia: First create an account on Kannada Wikipedia (http://kn.wikipedia.org). This would help you to track all your modifications or contributions on Wiki.
If you’re already on wiki, then start finding information about any subject or topic of your interest. If you find that information on wiki, its well and good, see if you can improve that article. If you don’t find one, then you will be prompted to create that article.. This is the simplest way to start your editing on Kannada wikipedia.
If you have already kick started your editing on Wikipedia, you can help us (Kannada Wikipedia Community) with few of our existing projects: I shall list them for you.
- The following project helps us to enhance the existing articles submitted by Google transliteration project. These articles are good but they need lots of clean up work from editors. The list of articles might contain lots of information that you might want to read and edit further.
ವಿಕಿಪೀಡಿಯ:ಯೋಜನೆ/ಅನುವಾದಗೊಂಡ ಲೇಖನಗಳ ಸಂವರ್ಧನಾ ಯೋಜನೆ
- Last month we started with a new project to edit wiki pages of all districts of Karnataka. This would enhance the readability of place specific information on Kannada Wikipedia. You might want to search your district page and enhance it under this project whenever you get a chance. That would encourage many of your friends to write about their districts too.
ವಿಕಿಪೀಡಿಯ:ಯೋಜನೆ/ಕರ್ನಾಟಕದ ಜಿಲ್ಲೆಗಳ ಪುಟಗಳ ಸಂಪಾದನಾ ಯೋಜನೆ
- We are also in process of starting Wiki project Karnataka 1000. This project is used to be on English Wikipedia and this time we are trying to make this as a multilingual wiki project to co-ordinate between other language Wikipedians too. This project aims to improve organisation and standardised look and feel of the articles related to the Indian state of Karnataka.
Wikipedia:WikiProject Karnataka 1000 – Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
These are few projects through which you can kick start your editing activities around Kannada Wikipedia. If you need any help then please drop a message here or on Kannada Wikipedia Facebook Group, Kannada Wikipedia Mailing list. You can also attend our Meetups, Workshops, Or Google Hangout sessions happen atleast once in a month.
ಮಾರ್ಚ್ ೩, ೨೦೧೨ – ಸಂಯುಕ್ತ ಕರ್ನಾಟಕ ಅಂಕಣ
Tags: Kannada Wikipedia, ಕನ್ನಡ, ಗ್ನು/ಲಿನಕ್ಸ್